Sustainable Flexible Packaging
At Flex-Pack Engineering we often here from customers with questions on sustainability in the flexible packaging industry. Sustainability is often tossed around as a buzz word in many industries. The following is a brief overview of how sustainability may apply to the flexible packaging industry.
Sustainable flexible packaging refers to packaging materials that are designed and produced with a focus on minimizing their environmental impact throughout their lifecycle. Flexible packaging typically includes materials such as films, pouches, bags, and wraps that are used for various products, including food, personal care items, and more. The goal of sustainable flexible packaging is to reduce the environmental footprint associated with traditional packaging materials, such as single-use plastics.
Key characteristics of sustainable flexible packaging include:
- Material Selection: Sustainable flexible packaging often involves the use of environmentally friendly materials, such as bio-based plastics, recycled content, or compostable materials. These materials aim to reduce the reliance on fossil fuels and decrease the overall environmental impact.
- Recyclability: Packaging that can be easily recycled is a crucial aspect of sustainability. Sustainable flexible packaging may be designed to be recyclable through existing municipal recycling systems, promoting the circular economy.
- Biodegradability and Compostability: Some sustainable flexible packaging materials are designed to be biodegradable or compostable, meaning they can break down naturally over time without causing harm to the environment. This is particularly important for reducing plastic pollution.
- Reduced Packaging Waste: Sustainable packaging often focuses on optimizing packaging design to minimize the amount of material used without compromising functionality or product protection. This can lead to less overall waste generation.
- Energy Efficiency: Sustainable packaging considers the energy consumed during the manufacturing process. Efforts are made to reduce energy usage and employ more energy-efficient production methods.
- Life Cycle Assessment (LCA): Sustainable flexible packaging may undergo a life cycle assessment to evaluate its environmental impact from raw material extraction to end-of-life disposal. This holistic approach helps identify areas for improvement and ensures a comprehensive understanding of the packaging’s sustainability.
- Innovation: Ongoing research and development efforts aim to discover new materials and technologies that enhance the sustainability of flexible packaging, pushing the industry toward more eco-friendly solutions.
Sustainable flexible packaging is part of a broader movement within the packaging industry to address environmental concerns and move toward more responsible and eco-friendly practices. As consumer awareness of environmental issues grows, there is an increasing demand for sustainable packaging solutions across various industries.
Flex-Pack Engineering Can Help Your Business with Sustainable Flexible Packaging
Flex-Pack Engineering helps customers with understanding the ever changing sustainable flexible packaging movement from a design and engineering perspective. We help sort out and characterize sustainable packaging by analyzing standard film products vs. sustainable film products and make recommendations based on the fitness for use and chain of use criteria for your product.
Furthermore, our team can provide flexible packaging testing and consulting services related to proof of concept on compounding, film making, printing, and laminating. We have the knowledge and expertise with sustainable packaging products to help our customers understand the pros and cons of sustainability, and if it is right for a particular project.
When you are ready to have a conversation about sustainable flexible packaging and if it is the right option for your packaging products, call Flex-Pack at 888-300-1482 or fill out our request information form.